The late Classicist Königsbau building, built in the mid 19th Century, borders the Schlossplatz square to the West. Destroyed during the war, the former commercial building was reconstructed in 1958/59. Its imposing colonnade comprising 34 columns is 134 metres long and is the dominating feature of the entire building. It was once the site of magnificent court parties. Today, its inviting cafés and the Königsbau-Passagen shopping mall entice passers-by to browse and linger.