A traditional former industrial site (1905 - 1913) known as Berliner Platz in Stuttgart's city centre was used as the location for a new urban district, the Bosch-Areal. A number of listed old and new buildings refurbished both inside and out are grouped around a glass-roofed inner courtyard. The steel and glass construction, spanning an area of around 1,500 square metres, was built using a distinctive filigree mesh domed roof. The Bosch-Areal is home to media firms, offices, markets and retail outlets. The site also features restaurants, clubs and cafés. In 2001, the Literature House opened its doors in the Bosch-Areal complex, offering a wide and interesting range of events.