The City of Stuttgart wants this voluntary social benefit to enable all children and young people to participate in the many recreational and educational activities in Stuttgart.
The Family Card credit balance will be stored on the Family Card. The charged card is used as a form of payment for various recreational and educational activities. The Family Card brochure (see publications) contains further information on who is entitled to the benefits of the Family Card, how and where you can obtain a card and which partners accept it.
- Who will receive the Family Card in 2020
- What benefits does the Family Card include
- Where is the Family Card available and where can it be charged up
- How do I get a Family Card
- Time period for charging up the card
- How long does the Family Card remain valid
- Loss of the Family Card
- Note on access benefit
- Important information
Who will receive the Family Card in 2020
- The Family Card can be issued to children and young people in Stuttgart from birth up to and including the age of 16, i.e. up to one day before their 17th birthday. The prerequisite is that your total annual income does not exceed € 70,000 (in accordance with § 2 Para.3 of the German Income Tax Act - EStG).
You must provide evidence of this from your income tax return from the previous year.
- There is no income limit for families with 4 or more children. However, you must prove that you receive child benefit for at least 4 children living in your household.
What benefits does the Family Card include
- A credit balance of € 60 a year per child, which can be used for various offers. The money is stored on an electronic chip and is debited using reader terminals at the acceptance points.
- A 20% reduction on fees for the music school and on parental contributions to the "Stadtranderholung" (Evangelische Ferienwaldheime, Waldheime in Stuttgart) programme, the nationwide holiday initiative for inner-city children.
- A reduction on fees for daycare facilities for children. Further details can be found using the following link:
Gebührenverzeichnis für den Besuch städtischer Tageseinrichtungen für Kinder gültig ab 1. August 2018 (PDF)
Grafik: Stadt Stuttgart
Where is the Family Card available and where can it be charged up
The Family Card is available from the Citizens' Service Centres, Civic Information Centres at the District Offices and the Office for Voluntary Services at the Social Welfare Office in Eberhardstraße 33, 70173 Stuttgart. Unfortunately, postal delivery of the Family Card is not possible.
How do I get a Family Card
The Family Card is issued and charged up without you having to make an application if you submit your identity card and your 2018 income tax return. In exceptional circumstances, if no income assessment is available, other forms of evidence of annual income will be accepted (e.g. your December 2019 pay slip or your 2019 electronic certificate of income tax deductions). Furthermore, the Family Card issued and charged up after you submit notification of the provision of benefits in accordance with the
- Social Code II (SGB II)
- Social Code XII /SGB XII)
- the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (AsylbLG)
- or the Bonus Card + Culture 2020
Time period for charging up the card
The Family Card credit balance can be charged up until 14 December of the current year. The credit balance can only be charged up for the following year from 15 December.
How long does the Family Card remain valid
The credit balance is valid for one calendar year. This cannot be accumulated for the following year and expires automatically after 31 December of any year.
Loss of the Family Card
If the Family Card is lost, the person in question must visit the Office for Voluntary Services in Eberhardstr. 33, 70173 Stuttgart in person during office hours. A request can be made there to block the card and a replacement card can be issued with the verified residual credit balance. Unfortunately it is not possible to send a replacement card by post.
Note on access benefit
Until now, access benefit has been credited to, an debited from, the Famliy Card. This process has been discontinued. From 1.01.2020, the job centre or social welfare office will transfer access benefit of 15 euros per month to anyone entitled. It will no longer be possible to credit/debit the access benefit to/from the Family Card. Any access benefit currently on your Family Card will expire on 31.12.2019. Further information ist available under Jobcenter or 0711 216-94350
- The Family Card is not transferable to other people. However, the credit balance can also be used for family admission tickets.
- The Family Card credit balance cannot be transferred to a cash card or used to puchase vouchers.
- The sale of tickets and vouchers which have been purchased through the Family Card credit is not permitted.
- The State Capital Stuttgart reserves the right to withdraw the Family Card in case of misuse.
- If a Family Card is lost, it can be replaced only once in exceptional cases, for example in case of theft.