The City of Stuttgart wants this voluntary social benefit to enable all children and young people to participate in the many recreational and educational activities in Stuttgart. The so-called participation benefit has supplemented the municipal benefit since 2011. Children and young people whose parents claim
- Benefits in accordance with the Social Code II (SGB II)
- Benefits in accordance with the Social Code XII (SGB XII)
- Benefits in accordance with the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (AsylbLG)
- Housing benefit
- Supplementary child benefit
The Family Card credit balance (FC) and the participation benefit (PB) are both stored in so-called purses (an FC-purse and PB-purse) on the Family Card. The charged card is used as a form of payment for various recreational and educational activities. The Family Card brochure (see publications) contains further information on who is entitled to the benefits of the Family Card and participation benefit, how and where you can obtain a card and which partners accept it.
- Who will receive the Family Card in 2018
- What benefits does the Family Card include
- Where is the Family Card available and where can it be charged up
- How do I get a Family Card
- Time period for charging up the card
- How long does the Family Card remain valid
- Loss of the Family Card
- Important information
Who will receive the Family Card in 2018
- The Family Card can be issued to children and young people in Stuttgart from birth up to and including the age of 16, i.e. up to one day before their 17th birthday. The prerequisite is that your total annual income does not exceed € 70,000 (in accordance with § 2 Para.3 of the German Income Tax Act - EstG).
You must provide evidence of this from your income tax return from the previous year.
- There is no income limit for families with 4 or more children. However, you must prove that you receive child benefit for at least 4 children living in your household.
What benefits does the Family Card include
- A credit balance of € 60 a year per child, which can be used for various offers. The money is stored on an electronic chip and is debited using reader terminals at the acceptance points.
- A 20% reduction on fees for the music school and on parental contributions to the "Stadtranderholung" (Waldheim forest retreats) programme, the nationwide holiday initiative for inner-city children.
- A reduction on fees for daycare facilities for children. Further details can be found using the following link:
Gebühren für den Besuch städtischer Kindertageseinrichtungen
- The so-called participation benefit amounting to € 10 per month. This is given to children and young people under the age of 18 to participate in club, cultural or holiday activities, such as music lessons. Further information on the application conditions and eligibility requirements for the statutory participation benefit can be found at: Mitmachen für alle (PDF)
Where is the Family Card available and where can it be charged up
The Family Card is available from the Citizens' Service Centres, Civic Information Centres at the District Offices and the Office for Voluntary Services at the Social Welfare Office in Eberhardstraße 33, 70173 Stuttgart. Unfortunately, postal delivery of the Family Card is not possible.
How do I get a Family Card
The Family Card is issued and charged up without you having to make an application if you submit your identity card and your 2016 income tax return. If you do not have an income tax return, you can provide evidence of your annual income through another appropriate proof of income (e.g. your December 2017 pay slip or your 2017 electronic certificate of income tax deductions). Furthermore, the Family Card issued and charged up after you submit notification of the provision of benefits in accordance with the
- Social Code II (SGB II)
- Social Code XII /SGB XII)
- the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (AsylbLG)
- or the Bonus Card + Culture 2018
Time period for charging up the card
The Family Card credit balance can be charged up until 14 December of the current year. The credit balance can only be charged up for the following year from 15 December.
How long does the Family Card remain valid
The credit balance is valid for one calendar year. This cannot be accumulated for the following year and expires automatically after 31 December of any year.
Loss of the Family Card
If the Family Card is lost, the person in question should visit the Office for Voluntary Services in Eberhardstr. 33, 70173 Stuttgart in person during office hours. A request can be made there to block the card and a replacement card can be issued with the verified residual credit balance. Unfortunately it is not possible to send a replacement card by post.
- The Family Card is not transferable to other people. However, the credit balance can also be used for family admission tickets.
- The Family Card credit balance cannot be transferred to a cash card.
- The sale of tickets and vouchers which have been purchased through the Family Card credit is not permitted.
- The State Capital Stuttgart reserves the right to withdraw the Family Card in case of misuse.
- If a Family Card is lost, it can be replaced only once in exceptional cases, for example in case of theft.