Solitude Palace

The former summer residence of Duke Carl Eugen was built between 1764 and 1775. Built on a hill to the West of Stuttgart, it affords magnificent views over the surrounding countryside. It was designed by architects Philippe des la Guepière, Reinhard Ferdinand Heinrich Fischer, Johann Friedrich Weyhing and Nikolaus Friedrich von Thouret, who took charge of the interior furnishings and fittings.

With its three wings arranged around a central open space, its preserved interior fittings and a number of items of original furniture, this palace evokes a sense of the splendour of its heyday. The eleven rooms on show in the palace are notable for their mix of Rococo to Classicist styles. During the transformation phase from one epoch to the next, it was perfectly acceptable to display the two different styles side by side. Today, this popular destination for day trippers with its Palace Restaurant is home to an academy for young artists.

In the close vicinity is the legendary Solitude motor racing track, which was used up until 1962. In 2003, a memorial event was held to mark the 100th anniversary of racing on the Solitude track.

Solitude Palace.Vergrößern
Splendid Solitude Palace. Photo: Stuttgart Marketing

More information


More on the subject