Stuttgart State Gallery
The spectacular post-modernist extension to the State Gallery in Stuttgart was designed by the celebrated British architect James Stirling. Since its inauguration in 1984, parts of the outer facade have boasted an intriguing juxtaposition of colours - pink, sky blue and moss green. The late Classicist building directly adjoining it was built between 1838 and 1842, and was designed by Architect Gottlob Georg von Barth, Chief Building Officer in the Finance Ministry of the Kingdom of Württemberg.
The third and most recent wing of the State Gallery was designed by Basle-based architects Wilfried and Katharina Steib, and was inaugurated after a construction period of just two years in September 2002. This extension houses the graphic art collections, two exhibition halls and the Cabinet of Engravings.
The Stuttgart State Gallery is an art museum of international renown, and is among the most frequently visited museums in Germany. Art works on show in the old part of the building include Rembrandt, Jan Vermeer and Peter Paul Rubens collections. The Mediaeval Italian school of painting is represented by Carpaccio, Vasari, Panini and Canaletto. Works by the German artists Albrecht Dürer and Lucas Cranach are also on view.
Highlights of what is now known as the "New State Gallery" include the Oskar-Schlemmer archive and one of Germany's biggest and most impressive Picasso collections. Works by Anselm Feuerbach, Caspar David Friedrich, Degas and Toulouse-Lautrec, Monet and Klee as well as contemporary exhibits by Joseph Beuys attract thousands of visitors every year.